“Pura Vida” means “Pure Life”. It’s an expression that Costa Ricans use to express the essence of their land and way of living. When I visited Costa Rica in 2006, I heard the phrase within an hour of being in the small country, which is generally known as a very peaceful place: it abolished its military in […]
- Finding Home: Our Soul Cultures December 11, 2012
- 60 Minutes Up, 60 Seconds Down: Adventures in Volcano Boarding January 9, 2012
- Gear Review: Eagle Creek’s Flip Switch Wheeled Backpack January 28, 2013
- Wildlife in Peril in Thailand February 15, 2012
- The Top 5 Inspirational People I’ve Met in my Travels July 26, 2012
- Top 5 Eco-Friendly Ways to Explore Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama February 25, 2015
- Biking the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho February 17, 2015
- One Tough Hombre — Horseback riding & Campfire Mate with a Patagonian Gaucho February 10, 2015
- 50 by 50 February 2, 2015
- Beyond the Music in Nashville January 28, 2015
The Person Behind the Blog
I'm Shelley, a journeyer and learner of the world, freelance journalist and author, yoga chick and dog lover. I pound the keyboard from home barefoot every day, and while my boss is demanding she also occasionally lets me have the early afternoon cocktail. I think not going into an office or collecting corporate paychecks are very good ideas, though not always profitable. I have written for National Geographic, USA Today, The Guardian, Texas Monthly and CNN, among others. Neither the New York Times nor Johnny Depp have answered my letters yet.
I love animals, yoga, indie movies, cooking, wine, books and chocolate, though not necessarily in that order. I believe in karma. Mean people suck. If I could have any dream job I would like to be a superhero. I have performed a catch on the flying trapeze, boarded down a live volcano, snorkeled with seals and was once robbed by a monkey in Nepal. But, I don't know how to whistle.
My mantra is "travel with a purpose."