“Pura Vida” means “Pure Life”. It’s an expression that Costa Ricans use to express the essence of their land and way of living. When I visited Costa Rica in 2006, I heard the phrase within an hour of being in the small country, which is generally known as a very peaceful place: it abolished its military in […]
- Finding Home: Our Soul Cultures December 11, 2012
- 60 Minutes Up, 60 Seconds Down: Adventures in Volcano Boarding January 9, 2012
- Gear Review: Eagle Creek’s Flip Switch Wheeled Backpack January 28, 2013
- Wildlife in Peril in Thailand February 15, 2012
- Travel is not Utopia August 29, 2013
- San Diego for Families December 5, 2013
- How To Travel For Free - Cyber Monday! December 5, 2013
- Our new, Updated 2nd Edition coming available! November 18, 2013
- Eco-Adventures through San Miguel de Allende, Mexico November 13, 2013
- Montréal 3 Ways: Nature Lovers, Foodies and Art Scenesters November 5, 2013
The Person Behind the Blog
I'm Shelley, a journeyer and learner of the world, freelance journalist and author, yoga chick and dog lover. I pound the keyboard from home barefoot every day, and while my boss is demanding she also occasionally lets me have the early afternoon cocktail. I think not going into an office or collecting corporate paychecks are very good ideas, though not always profitable. I have written for National Geographic, USA Today, The Guardian, Texas Monthly and CNN, among others. Neither the New York Times nor Johnny Depp have answered my letters yet.
I love yoga, indie movies, wine, and books, though not necessarily in that order. I believe in karma. Mean people suck. If I could have any dream job I would like to be a superhero. I have performed a catch on the flying trapeze, boarded down a live volcano and was once robbed by a monkey in Nepal. But, I don't know how to whistle.
My mantra is "travel with a purpose."
Time To My Next Trip:
- Via @nprnews: Nelson Mandela, Inspiration To World, Dies At 95 n.pr/lVuHN3 17 hours ago
- San Diego for Families: wp.me/p23BXR-Cz via @shelleyseale 18 hours ago
- San Diego for Families lnkd.in/bCze5MJ 18 hours ago
- San Diego for Families wp.me/p23BXR-Cz 20 hours ago